ICD-10 Latest News
Check this page for the latest ICD-10 news from the AHA Central Office, CMS or other industry groups.
- New FAQs for ICD-10 Billing from CMS — (6/2013)
Three new FAQs about submitting ICD-10 claims around the October 1, 2014, deadline have been posted to the CMS website. View answers on the following questions:
- How do I report ICD-10 codes on claims when the dates of service span from prior to 10/1/2014 to on or after 10/1/2014? (#8246)
- If I submit or process a transaction with an ICD-9 code for a date of service after October 1, 2014, am I HIPAA compliant? (#8248)
- How long after the October 1, 2014 ICD-10 compliance date must I continue to report and/or process ICD-9 codes? (#8252)
- Updated End-to-End Testing Checklists — (5/2013)
CMS and contractor National Government Services (NGS) have updated end-to-end testing checklists to incorporate comments from providers, payers, and vendors.
- List of CMS ICD-10 Resources — (5/2013)
- 2014 ICD-10-PCS (procedure) files are now available and posted on the CMS website — (5/20/2013)
The new ICD-10-PCS files include:
- Updated “Official ICD-10-PCS Coding Guidelines” with guidance from the ICD Cooperating Parties: CMS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Hospital Association, and the American Health Information Management Association
- The 2014 ICD-10-PCS code tables and index, which add four procedure codes created to capture new technologies.
- Clarification on the Use of External Cause and Unspecified Codes in ICD-10-CM — (5/13/2013)
Approved by the four Cooperating Parties for ICD-10-CM/PCS and ICD-9-CM Coding, which includes American Health Information Management Association, American Hospital Association, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, and National Center for Health Statistics.
Click for more information.
- CMS releases ICD-10 checklists, timelines — (03/2013)
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services recently posted checklists and timelines to help small hospitals, physician practices and payers transition to ICD-10 for reporting patient diagnoses and inpatient procedures. Under a final rule issued in August, hospitals and other entities covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act must transition to the ICD-10 coding system by Oct. 1, 2014. For more information, visit www.cms.gov.
- ICD-10-CM/PCS Rollout Plans for the AHA Central Office — (03/2013)
- 2012 AHA Coding Clinic Alphabetical Index — (02/2013)
- ICD-10 Version of FY 2013 MS-DRG Files Now Available (11/2012)
The ICD-10 MS-DRG v30 files are now posted on the ICD-10 MS-DRG Conversion Project web page in the “Downloads” section. These files are an ICD-10 version of the FY 2013 MS-DRGs now in use for the inpatient prospective payment system.
- ICD-10 MS-DRG v29 & v30 Comparison Files
CMS is in the process of posting an HTML version of the ICD-10-CM/PCS MS-DRG v30 Definitions Manual on the “Related Links” section of the ICD-10 MS-DRG Conversion Project web page.
The final ICD-10 version of the MS-DRG logic will be subject to formal rulemaking.
ICD-10-CM/PCS MS-DRG v30 Definitions Manual Table of Contents - Full Titles - Text Version
ICD-10 Medicare Code Editor v30
- The 2013 edition of the ICD-10-CM guidelines have been posted to the CDC website. — (9/2012)
- The 2013 ICD-10-CM codes and mapping files are now posted on the General Equivalency Mappings page
HIPAA Code Set Rule
HIPAA Code Set Rule: ICD-10 Implementation, An Executive Briefing
H&HN Daily/CHIME "ICD-10 In Real Time" Blog
- ICD-10 Benefits Are In The Eye of the Beholder — (12/2012)
- The Why Behind The What — (11/2012)
- ICD-10: Time Waits For No One — (10/2012)
- Physician Engagement for ICD-10: Is the Doctor In? — (9/2012)
- Times They Are a Changin' — (8/2012)
- Two Words of Advice for ICD-10: Start Now! — (7/2012)
- Redefining the Provider-Payer Relationship — (6/2012)
- The ICD-10 Delay and the Research Conundrum — (5/2012)
- ICD-10 Will Lead to Better Patient Outcomes and Reduced Costs. Really. — (4/2012)
- A Chance To Lead — (3/2012)
- ICD-10: Choose Your Attitude — (2/2012)
- The British are coming! Or is it ICD-10? — (1/2012)
- H&HN Cover Story Physicians are key to ICD-10. Getting Them On Board Might Be Easier Than You Think (6/2012)
- H&HN Gatefold : ICD-10 Implementation — No Time Delay — (3/2012)
- H&HN: ICD-10 Implementation Deadlines: No Time to Relax — (3/2012)
- H&HN Daily: Don't Take Your Eye Off the ICD-10 Ball — (2/2012)