Step 1: Organizing the Implementation Effort
Hospitals should form a steering committee or team to oversee the ICD-10 strategy and planning implementation process. Key responsibilities for this committee include:
- Implementing goals and timelines
- Assessing the implementation impact
- Determining the impact of affected functional areas
- Assigning various tasks
- Educating and training for information systems staff and coding staff on coding sets
The ICD-10 Steering Committee may vary according to the organization's implementation needs. To ensure the plan is appropriately coordinated across departments, each team should have sponsorship and support from a senior-level manager.
Representation should include members from the following departments:
- Health Information Management/Coding
- Information Systems and Technology
- Revenue Cycle Management
The following resources are targeted towards helping organize the ICD-10 effort:
- ICD-10 Implementation – No Time to Delay …Click here to access.
- Your ICD-10 Planning Starts Now. Click here to access.
- HIPAA Code Set Rule: ICD-10 Implementation, An Executive Briefing. Click here to access.
AHA Coding Clinic Audio Conferences—Coding Education from the Experts in Coding!
Visit www.krm.com/ahacentraloffice for the latest conference schedule.
Online/CD Access of past ICD-10 audio conferences:
ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM: Coding of Common Diagnoses (November 2012)
Introduction to the Basics of ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Coding (February 2012)